Study of Acids, Bases and Salts – Notes
Acids, Bases and Salts – Acids
Any substance that releases hydrogen ions when dissolved in water is an acid.
Acids obtained from food like curd, lemons, raw mango, citrus fruits and gooseberry are called organic acids.
Hydrochloric acid, sulphuric acid and nitric acid are called inorganic or mineral acids.
Acids have the following physical properties:
- Acids taste sour.
- Acids turn blue litmus red.
- Acids turn methyl orange red.
- Acids have a corrosive action on the skin.
- Acids are good conductors of electricity.
- Acids generate heat when they are diluted.