Food Security in India – Notes
Introduction to Food Security
Food security exists when there is enough food available, accessible and affordable for all.
The problem of food security assumes larger proportions in natural disaster.
A natural calamity affecting a large area for a long duration of time leads to starvation and conditions of famine.
Food Insecure Groups in India
A large part of our population faces food insecurity.
The groups of people more vulnerable to food insecurity than others include:
- Landless farmers farm labourers with seasonal employment
- Traditional artisans
- Casual labourers and migrant workers
- People employed in low-income jobs
- Poor people belonging to the scheduled tribes
- People without any means or possessions for subsistence, including beggars, women and children