Organic chemistry- Some Basic principles and techniques – Solutions
1) What are the hybridisation states of each carbon atom in the following compounds?
CH2=C=O, CH3CH=CH2, (CH3)2CO, CH2=CHCN, C6H6
Carbon in all its compound undergoes any of three hybridisations –sp3, sp2 or sp, depending upon the number of s bonds formed.
- If the C atom forms 4s- bonds, then it is sp3
- If the C atom forms 3s- bonds, then it is sp2
- If the C atom forms 2s- bonds, then it is sp hybridised.
2) Indicate the s and p bonds in the following molecules:
C6H6, C6H12, CH2C12, CH=C=CH2, CH3NO2 , HCONHCH3